A Vancouver man claims he had to smash the window of his new Tesla Model Y in order to escape an electrical fire.
Several news outlets are reporting that Jamil Jutha, who had owned his 2021 Tesla Model Y for eight months, had to break a window in order to escape the car after it caught fire while powering down.
“No, I had to smash the window to get out of the car,” he told firefighters responding to the fire, when asked if anyone else was in the Tesla. “I kicked through the window. Everything stopped. The power didn’t work. The door didn’t open. The windows didn’t go down so I’m thinking I need to get the f**k out of this car. So I kicked through.”
While the Model 3 and Y vehicles do have manual releases that can override the electrical window/door opening process, “what happens if the door won’t open,” remains one of the most common questions first-time passengers have in a Tesla. So much so that the search phrase, “Tesla door won’t open” gives back millions of results.
If you add the stress and fear of smoke and fire to the scenario? It’s a safe bet that a good number of people might forget where that manual door handle is and get to kicking their way free. Luckily Jamil, he was able to get out in time.
You can see the whole incident play out in this (pretty scary) YouTube video, below. It includes some NSFW language and lamentations about the fate of the driver’s golf clubs, but it captures the shock on the moment well. Check it out, then let us know what you think of Jamil’s electric escape in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
Tesla Catching Fire at an Intersection
SOURCE | IMAGES: SONS OF VANCOUVER DISTILLERY.